Monday, May 7, 2018

Bookish Banter: School Required Reading and Thoughts

A little Bookish Banter to get us through.  Bookish Banter is a little bit of banter about our bookish thoughts as we have a friendly discussion over a nice cup of tea. 

What are some books that you had to read for school, and you ended up really liking? What are your thoughts on required reading?

Ash-
Most of the books for school I hated... But there were some really great ones... A couple I really liked were Animal Farm and Little Women.

Animal FarmLittle Women (Little Women, #1)



Then there was a few I really didn't like, like Don Quixote, Emma, and Tom Sawyer.
Don QuixoteEmmaThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer


I didn't read too many for school, most of what I read for literature was short stories, and poems, or just parts of books. I know I read more than just these, but I cannot for the life of me remember which I had to read.

As far as required reading goes, I have a love-hate relationship with it. I do understand that these are books that everyone should read at least once in their lifetime, they teach great things. And you can really branch out and find things that you love, that you never knew you would love...

But then at the same time, I know so many people who hate reading, because they were forced to read books in school that they just hate. And so it completely turned them off from reading.

So in theory, required reading is great. But has downsides too. Love hate relationship I'm telling you.
I was homeschooled so it might be different how they do it in public schools, but I had a list of books that I could choose from, and I chose the ones I "wanted" to read the most.

I think there should be a list of similar titles, that they can read and get the same idea from. And it doesn't necessarily have to be classics, it can be new books too.

Jenn:

I read some I liked and some I didn't. I hated the assigned readings though. I always thought I should have some say in what I read. Of course, I guess that isn't how it works. I don't remember all that I read but out of the ones I read here are the ones I loved and the ones I hated! 

The ones I loved...

The YearlingWhere the Red Fern GrowsFahrenheit 451The Pit and the PendulumHiroshimaA Night to RememberAnd Then There Were NoneThe Outsiders



The ones not so much love...

Of Mice and MenAnimal FarmThe Adventures of Tom SawyerA Midsummer Night's Dream


These are all the ones I remember. I feel like this topic is a little close to the one with doing about classics since it seems all mine are classics. It's been a while since I have been in school. I am sure there are some more modern ones now. 

I do understand the purpose of some required reading... like Animal Farm. Even though I wasn't much for it, I understood what the book was about and found it very enlightening. I do believe we could get more kids reading if we either gave them a more modern list of approved books to choose from or just assign more modern reads. I mean it would be nice if nothing was assigned, but it's hard to discuss as a class if not everyone is reading the same book. Maybe an approved list then a vote on the book to read. I just really think more kids would read if the books weren't so forced, old, and boring.

What do you think?

Do you remember what you read in school? Did you like any of them or hate them all? How do you feel about required reading in school?





6 comments:

  1. I basically had a whole year of Shakespeare when I was a freshman in high school. It wasn't bad, it's just something that takes a lot of work to understand. I know we read a lot of classics, which I guess is good that everyone have at least some exposure to. There are some great works out there. I actually love Of Mice and Men and reread it recently. I know at my old high school, the required summer reading lists are actually really good; they give the kids lots of choices and there are many modern YA books on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly hated my required reading, but it did expose me to a lot of books that I wouldn’t have picked up on my own. Sometimes it’s good to get way out of your reading comfort zone.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading The Scarlet Letter and Beowulf. I'm horrible at reading stuff when I HAVE to but I do remember enjoying these two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. It is still my favorite book of all time. I hated The Old Man and the Sea, and I was cursed because it was also part of the syllabus for two, count 'em two, college courses I took. Ugh.📚

    I think assigned reading is necessary because it would be too difficult teaching structure and analyses if everyone in the class was reading a different book. However, I don't think they should all be classics. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated required reading as they were things that never interested me-Animal Farm, Sons and Lovers, Pygmalion, The Great Gilly Hopkins, Catcher in the Rye, Laidlaw, Death of a salesman...yuk! It put me off reading for fun for years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually loved most of the books I had to read for school. I was weird that way. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs