Friday, March 2, 2018

Review: Killman Creek by Rachel Caine


Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)Title: Killman Creek 
Author:  Rachel Caine
Publisher: Thomas & Mercer
Publishing Date: December 12th, 2017
Pages: 348
Genre: Adult Mystery Thriller
Series:  Stillhouse Creek #2
Source: Audio
 
Every time Gwen closed her eyes, she saw him in her nightmares. Now her eyes are open, and he’s not going away.

Gwen Proctor won the battle to save her kids from her ex-husband, serial killer Melvin Royal, and his league of psychotic accomplices. But the war isn’t over. Not since Melvin broke out of prison. Not since she received a chilling text…

You’re not safe anywhere now.

Her refuge at Stillhouse Lake has become a trap. Gwen leaves her children in the protective custody of a fortified, well-armed neighbor. Now, with the help of Sam Cade, brother of one of Melvin’s victims, Gwen is going hunting. She’s learned how from one of the sickest killers alive.

But what she’s up against is beyond anything she feared—a sophisticated and savage mind game calculated to destroy her. As trust beyond her small circle of friends begins to vanish, Gwen has only fury and vengeance to believe in as she closes in on her prey. And sure as the night, one of them will die.



I really enjoyed Stillhouse Lake and was very excited to read the second installment to this series. I can say that this book outdid my expectations. I was a little nervous going into the second book fearing it wouldn't be as good. It wasn't as good it was better. The story continued pretty much from the end of the first book. Told in four points of view and had a bit more action and suspense. 

For years Gwen Proctor has feared her ex-husband and with good reason. He is a serial killer. Now he has escaped prison and is after Gwen. He has people working for him. People he thought he could trust. Gwen and her friend Sam decide to go on a manhunt to find Gwen's ex, Melvin, and get rid of this problem once and for all. Of course, things are never as easy as it should be.... not that hunting a serial killer has ever sounded easy... but Melvin makes things and life even more difficult for Gwen including making all those she loves completely lose trust in her. 

So I really loved this book more than the first one and didn't know that was possible. One of the things that I feel made this book better... besides more Sam... was the four points of view. I was able to get into the minds of Gwen, Sam, and her kids. Which I thought was pretty awesome. Now four points of view can get very tricky and has to be done right in order to be enjoyable. Rachel Cain did a brilliant job and it was easy to follow and I just loved seeing how Sam and the kids' minds worked as well. Especially since for most of this book, the kids are not with Sam and Gwen.

Another thing, there was a ton more action, a ton more suspense, a ton more Sam, a ton more suspects, secrets, and problems, and a ton more terror. It was just more. More than the first and the first was hard to top.

The story really continues right after the first one and takes a new turn as instead of hiding as a victim Gwen decides to take matters into her own hands. I just have to say I love Gwen. Even though her fears she takes charge and just gets it done. I mean she is one tough cookie. There are lots of times she just shines in this book.

I am still getting to know Sam but I like him. Of course, there are some questionable actions that he takes but I think he thought he was doing his best at the time. There is a little romance starting between the two.. finally but it's slow and doesn't go anywhere yet... I am hoping in the next book we can see some real romance between these two. They just need to get together for sure.

I love the kids in this book. Of course, they make some bad decisions that cause a lot of issues but really they are kids... and it adds to the story. I really connected with them though. I feel bad for them. They have lost so much and really it's hard for them to see what is real and what is not. All they want is a normal and safe life.

The story is much heavier I feel in this book. What is learned in the first book is just the tip of the iceberg and there were quite a few whoa hold your horses moments in this book. I felt like every time I thought we (Gwen and I ) had this under control, the rug was pulled out from under us. So yeah its pretty cool like that.

It really was a superb read and I can't wait to get to the next one. I need more of these characters and I need this slimy Melvin thing to be OVER! 



Just give me the next one, please!  I need it now! 








Stacks Image 13636Rachel Caine's rich, diverse bibliography of more than 50 books in print covers many categories and genres. She started out writing horror and fantasy as Roxanne Longstreet (Stormriders, The Undead, Red Angel, Cold Kiss, Slow Burn) before switching to the name Roxanne Conrad and publishing romantic suspense and mystery (Copper Moon, Bridge of Shadows, Exile). By 2003, she began to publish under her current pseudonym, specializing in urban fantasy, science fiction, and paranormal young adult fiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs