Friday, March 16, 2018

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publishing Date: January 3rd, 2012
Pages: 400
Audio length: 10 Hours and 6 Minutes
Genre: Young Adult Sci-Fi
Series: The Lunar Chronicles
Source: Audio
 

A forbidden romance.
A deadly plague.
Earth's fate hinges on one girl . . .
CINDER, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.
Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.
This is not the fairytale you remember. But it's one you won't forget.

What made me pick this book up: 
I'm not going to lie, I've known about this book for years. I don't remember exactly why I picked it up, but I'm sure it has something to do with either the fact that the cover looks like a badass Cinderella retelling, or maybe Jenn read it first and wouldn't stop talking about it.

What did I like about the cover: 
I honestly really like this cover. It represents Cinderella well, and also shows the cyborg. I love the pop of red. I almost wish it was a glass slipper though.

What made me read this book: 
One of my very good friends actually gifted it to me on Audible because I stupidly read Wires and Nerve first and was a bit lost. And because everyone kept talking about it, I figured it was time. 

What did I like the most: 
I loved Kai and Iko! Kai was so sweet and caring, and Iko was sassy and funny. I loved how you knew it was loosely based off of Cinderella, but also had it's own twist and story to it. The cyborg twist, along with the disease, was really interesting.

What didn't I like: 
Well, there wasn't anything in particular that I didn't like. I had tried to read it 3 times and I could never get into it. The audio helped. The book was good, but I think because it had so much hype, I was expecting more. I heard the books get better each one, so we'll have to see. Oh, and I hated her adoptive mom. Ugh.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Oh, absolutely. Hopefully all of them for the reading challenge, and I know there's more by Marissa Meyer I want to read. 


I thought it was good, really good. Just not great.


“Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth.”
― Marissa MeyerCinder


Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1)Zombie Cinderella (Zombie Fairy Tales #1)Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)



I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.









No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs