Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Waiting on Wedenesday


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


Jenn's Pick: I Can't wait to have my hands on this!



Pitch Dark
Pitch Dark by Courtney Alameda
February 20th,  2018

Set against a future of marauding space scavengers and deadly aliens who kill with sound, here is a frightening, fast-paced YA adventure from the author of the acclaimed horror novel, Shutter.
Tuck has been in stasis on the USS John Muir, a ship that houses Earth’s most valued artifacts—its natural resources. Parks and mountains are preserved in space. 
Laura belongs to a shipraiding family, who are funded by a group used to getting what they want. And they want what’s on the Muir. 
Tuck and Laura didn’t bargain on working together, or battling mutant aliens who use sound to kill. But their plan is the only hope for their crews, their families, and themselves. 
In space, nobody can hear you scream . . . but on the John Muir, the screams are the last thing you'll hear.


This book sounds so epic. There are aliens, space travel, what sounds like space pirates, and oh horror. I loved her book Shatter and can't wait to read this. 



Ash's Pick: I need to read this NOW. 


P is for PearlP is for Pearl by Eliza Henry-Jones 
February 18th 2018


From the talented author of the celebrated novels In the Quiet and Ache comes a poignant and moving book that explores the stories we tell ourselves about our families, and what it means to belong.
Seventeen-year-old Gwendolyn P. Pearson has become very good at not thinking about the awful things that have happened to her family. She has also become used to people talking about her dead mum. Or not talking about her and just looking at Gwen sympathetically. And it's easy not to think about awful things when there are wild beaches to run along, best friends Loretta and Gordon to hang out with - and a stepbrother to take revenge on.
But following a strange disturbance at the cafe where she works, Gwen is forced to confront what happened to her family all those years ago. And she slowly comes to realise that people aren't as they first appear and that like her, everyone has a story to tell.
'P is for Pearl is a complex, authentic exploration of grief, friendship, mental illness, family and love, sensitively written by a writer whose voice will resonate with teen readers 


This is another one of those I found by accident and I am so so so super excited to read. I'm not usually one for contemporary books, though this one doesn't say it is, it kind of looks like it will be. 


8 comments:

  1. Nice picks!! Been seeing Pitch Dark around a bit lately. A little hesitant with that one only because I didn't really enjoy the author's first book. But I might look into this one after some reviews! The second pick is totally new to me! Hope you both love the book you picked once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really read YA...kind of got tired of the same tropes! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of both, but the first one? That book sounds amazing! I mean, aliens, space travel, possibly space pirates, AND horror? I'm in!

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog and the follow, I'm following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pitch Dark looks awesome! I love the space/ horror mash up. And P is for Pearl has such an amazing cover- love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are new to me! OMG, horror is the only genre I don't read! I just can't do it! I'm a scaredy cat. :D I hope you enjoy these books when you get the chance to read them!

    Have a wonderful day. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'v heard of Pitch Dark and I'm curious what people what think. I hope you enjoy both of these when you get them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picks, this is the first time I heard about both these books. And the both of them looks and sounds absolutely fantastic. I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance, thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs