Monday, February 19, 2018

Review: Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis


Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)Title: Not a Drop to Drink
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publishing Date: September 24th, 2013
Pages: 309
Genre: Young Adult Post Apocalyptic
Series: Not a Drop to Drink
Source: Audio
 


Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water.
Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snow less winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.
Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.
But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….
With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.



It's been years since fresh water has run out, and Lynn and her mother are just trying to survive. Even through attacks from strange men, coyotes, and finding a family that needs help. 
What made me pick this book up: 
It was mostly the title that made me pick it up. It definitely sounds like a thrilling post apocalyptic book.

What did I like about the cover: 
The cover is beautiful. I love the pond and the house with the girl standing on it. The grey to color gradient is also gorgeous.

What made me read this book: 
It sounded like a good post apocalyptic book, which I'm always down for apocalyptic/post apocalyptic books. Plus it's been on my TBR for forever and it was on audio, so I decided to go ahead and listen.

What did I like the most: 
So this wasn't the post apocalyptic book I thought it was going to be. Instead this is a slow paced book that shows their day to day lives and how they survived. Now, that isn't always bad. I did like reading about how they made due and how they survived. You don't get many post apocalyptic books that show this far into the future. Most it just shows right after, or just a few years after. 

I did like the characters, they were well written. My favorite had to be Stebbs. He was a comforting goofy old guy who I just felt safer even just reading about him. 

I also loved seeing how Lynn was able to survive and do the right thing, even if it took her a little bit to open up to people. 

I also really liked the narrator. She did a really good job of reading it, a perfect pace and she did the character voices well.

What didn't I like: 
There wasn't nearly as much action in it, as I would have liked. Because of this it was incredibly slow paced compared to most post apocalyptic books I have read. 

I also feel like the ending (or near ending) of the book didn't really match the rest of it, I don't really know why I feel this way, but there is a scene with someone (I won't spoil who) and the way it plays out just seems.. odd. Like it wasn't meant for this book. 

There was also a few times that I zoned out while listening and I had to go back a few minutes and listen to it again. I think if I actually read this book, I would have skimmed it quite a bit. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
Yes, I think I would. I noticed this book has a sequel, and I am pretty curious about it. So I think I will read this, but I'm also not really in much of a hurry.


Over all it was a well written book that shows survival in a post apocalyptic world. The characters are great, and the story is well written. I really enjoyed it.


A little Snippet
“There's different ways of doing things wrong, Lynn, and not all of it is choosing to hurt others. Sometimes it's the things you don't do that make you feel the worst.” ― Mindy McGinnisNot a Drop to Drink


A Matter of DaysIn the After (In the After, #1)OrleansYesterday (Yesterday #1)All Our Yesterdays

Mindy McGinnis is a YA author who has worked in a high school library for thirteen years. Her debut, NOT A DROP TO DRINK, a post-apocalyptic survival story set in a world with very little freshwater, has been optioned for film my Stephanie Meyer's Fickle Fish Films. The companion novel, IN A HANDFUL OF DUST was released in 2014. Her Gothic historical thriller, A MADNESS SO DISCREET won the Edgar Award in 2015. Her newest release, THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES is available now!






2 comments:

  1. I've got this on my list to read. Thanks for your review. Now I'll go into it prepared for a bit of a slower read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really liked this book, but I still haven’t read the sequel. Oops. I’ll get to it someday.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs