Thursday, July 28, 2016

Review: Please Don't Tell by Laura Tims

Please Don't Tell
Title:  Please Don't Tell 
Author:  Laura Tims
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publishing Date: May 24th 2016
Pages: 352
Genre: YA Psychological Mystery/Thriller
Series:  Stand Alone
Source:  ARC
 

Joy killed Adam Gordon—at least, that’s what she thinks. The night of the party is hazy at best. But she knows what Adam did to her twin sister, Grace, and she knows he had to pay for it.



What Joy doesn’t expect is that someone else saw what happened. And one night a note is shoved through her open window, threatening Joy that all will be revealed. Now the anonymous blackmailer starts using Joy to expose the secrets of their placid hometown. And as the demands escalate, Joy must somehow uncover the blackmailer’s identity before Joy is forced to make a terrible choice.



In this darkly compelling narrative, debut author Laura Tims explores the complicated relationship between two sisters, and what one will do for the other. It’s a story that will keep readers turning pages and questioning their own sense of ght and wrong.
This is going to be one of those books that are really hard to review. It was a great book. I was grabbed from the very beginning and I held on tight through every page. It was intense and it was plot driven. The characters stood and the writing was done well. It was a page turner and it was a very emotional read. It was a mystery. It was a book about sisterly bonds and trust and loyalty. It was a  story about coming to terms with the past. There was a lot to this book and those to me are hard to review. Especially when I can't give anything away. 

Grace and Joy are twins. They were very close up until recently. Things have happened in their lives and the truth of what happened has turned them in different directions. Joy wants to protect Grace. Joy is the outgoing. Joy is the dangerous one. Grace is the smart one. Grace doesn't lest other ins. Grace is the quiet one. Grace has a terrible secret. Joy may have a terrible secret too because Adam is dead. Joy blacked out and no one knows who killed Adam but maybe Joy does but can't remember for sure. Some else knows and remembers and wants Joy to pay to keep the secret a secret. 

This was a very well written book. I enjoyed everything about it. One of my favorite kind of reads is the ones that the pastor secret or mystery come out little by little as the chapters are read. These books keep me so invested in every word and I can't wait to get to more info so I just fly through them. I did fly through this one. I didn't want to put it down. 

The story was so intense and there were so much in it that were such horrible things. Lessons learned,  healing done, hope found. It was pretty serious stuff. It wasn't really a thriller or a drama or realistic fiction. It had a bit of it all wrapped in two big mysteries. What happened to Grace and did Joy do it. Of course what happened to Grace comes out first and after that I really hoped Joy did it... but didn't. It wouldn't be right but it would have felt good for me. Not for Joy though. 

One thing that I loved was the so complicated relationship between Grace and Joy. There were so many layers and I could see how unsettling it was and how damaging it was as the story unraveled. This time in their life was very complicated and very devastating to themselves, each other, and their relationship. This story was filled with bad ideas, bad timing, bad circumstances, and bad people. It made for a very hard read. I was troubled, I was emotional, and I was angry. 

This book was really plot driven but the characters were great too. The story was about the past... what happened and who done it. The characters were about the present. How they were dealing and if they were handling. I can say neither was handling but Grace was more put together on the outside and Joy was more put together on the inside. As Joy watched Grace all apart,she helped her hide it from the rest of the world. This kept Joy focused on the inside but on the outside, she was a mess. They were completely different and handled things completely different but really were just angry, hurt, confused, and didn't know where to go for help. 

This was a very good read. I think it would have been a 5-star read for me if the momentum didn't slow at the very end. It was an ending that wrapped everything up but I felt a little too unfinished. in terms of my emotions. Hard to explain but I didn't feel like all was going to be okay and it hurt. Really worth the read. So intense. 



So good so good so good. 


Laura Tims

Laura Tims is the author of PLEASE DON'T TELL, coming Fall 2015 from HarperCollins.
She's a mental health advocate, a cancer, and a reasonably cute organism. She likes Tumblr, anime, Neko Atsume, Homestuck, Steven Universe, and Undertale. She likes you even more.
She writes books about strange relationships, pain, and people who are scared but good. She loves to talk and if you also love to talk, find her on Twitter @laura_tims


5 comments:

  1. I SO want to read this book!!! Why haven't I read this book yet???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a good question Michelle. Why have you not read this book. Will you read this book? ASAP please. thank you. :) <3<3

      Delete
  2. I am glad to see you liked this book. I thought the characters were really genuine. The ending did have a bit less momentum then the rest of the story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. less momentum. that is a super way of putting it. The characters were pretty genuine. I really enjoyed that.

      Delete
  3. Very good review... Please Don't Tell wasn't on my radar but now it is!!! It sounds so intense and addicting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Emily @ Reader Rising

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs