Thursday, March 19, 2015

Review: Liars Inc. by Paula Stokes


Liars, Inc.
Title:  Liars Inc.
Author: Paula Stokes
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publishing Date: March 24th 2015
Pages: 368
Genre: YA Mystery Thriller
Series: Stand Alone
Source:  ARC



  

Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money and liven up a boring senior year. With the help of his friends Preston and Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?

When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn’t think twice about hooking him up. Until Preston never comes home. Then the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead the cops to Preston’s body. Terrifying clues that point to Max as the murderer.

Can Max find the real killer before he goes to prison for a crime he didn’t commit? In a story that Kirkus Reviews called "Captivating to the very end," Paula Stokes starts with one single white lie and weaves a twisted tale that will have readers guessing until the explosive final chapters.



I wasn't real sure how badly I wanted to read this book. It sounded interesting but for some reason something worried me about this book. Not sure if I found that worry in the title, the cover, or the synopsis. It was just there hovering. Well I decided to read it and I didn't need to worry. It was great. I loved it. The mystery, the suspense, the characters, the writing, the pacing. All up to par and more for what I look for in a thriller.
Max Contrell has a pretty decent life. A best friend that is way cool, a hot hot girlfriend that can't keep her hands off of him, a family that loves him, and he is graduating soon. Good stuff. At school one day the three amigos, Max, his girlfriend Parvarti, and his best friend Preston decide to embark on a economical adventure and create Liars Inc. Liars Inc give others in school answers to a test, an alibi, a school absent excuse and really anything else that needs a cover up or a lie.  All goes well until Preston asks Max  for the use of Liars Inc. He needs an alibi while he goes to Vegas to meet a girl. Sure no problem. Well Preston ends up missing then dead and Max is the prime suspect. Well crap. Max  and Parvari set out on a mission to find out the truth behind it all and of course find out way more than they expected and find themselves in a load of extreme trouble. 

I really enjoyed this book. I will say more than I thought I would. Again, not sure why I had my doubts but I did. Its hard to do a thriller, a mystery right. Its my favorite genre and this book hit it almost perfect for me. There were a few snags, mainly the ending. It just felt rushed but many times thrillers do for me. I didn't like all the characters too much either. Well mainly just one. I will get to that. 

The book did have great pacing and it kept my interest all the way through. I really couldn't  put the book down. I was looking for ways to sneak in a couple more pages anywhere I could.
I did enjoy the story line too, It was a good one. The mystery was pretty awesome. I figured out part way early one but then the book made me think I was wrong so I gave up on my theory and then I was right... but the biggest part, I never guessed. I was totally surprised in the end.


I liked Max. I connected to him quite easily and I liked his character. He seemed honest, thought and spoke and acted as I feel a teenage boy would,..I really don't have much experience in that department but it felt authentic for me. I believed his character. I rooted for him, I felt for him, I liked him and he never seemed to disappoint me. He was dumb at times but in a realistic way. 

Parvarti was okay. I had a harder time liking or connecting to her. She seemed unauthentic. I wanted to like her a bunch because Max did but something about her threw me off. I didn't always trust or believe her character. She didn't annoy me and she adds so much to the story I just didn't feel her character. 

Some secondary characters I would love to bring to light, Max parents and the cops. They were a great part of the story. Max entire family was pretty awesome. They were supportive and never questioned Max's innocence. 

I also really liked the cops. I am not sure why they just brought something extra and authentic to the story. They weren't dumb cops or full of it cops, but they were entertaining and memorable. They fit in real well even though they were very minor.

Like I mentioned the ending was a bit rushed but I find that many times in these type of books. Once the who why and how is out there, not much left except some kicking butt and escaping. Everything that led up to the ending was spot on and I really really really enjoyed it.. Highly recommend for those that like a great mystery thriller.


So happy I read this book, I think it was pretty dang rockin!








Paula Stokes
When she's not working (rare), she's kayaking, hiking, reading, or seeking out new adventures in faraway lands. She's petted tigers, snuggled snakes, snorkeled with stingrays, and once enjoyed the suction-cuppy feel of a baby elephant's trunk as it ate peanuts from her palm. Her future goals include diving with Great White sharks, learning Krav Maga, and writing a whole slew of novels, not necessarily in that order.  Paula Stokes is half writer, half RN, and totally thrilled to be part of the world of YA literature. She started out writing historical fiction under a pen name and is now branching out into other YA genres.

4 comments:

  1. I have been highly anticipating this book since I love thrillers. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've liked everything else I have read from this author so I am definitely looking forward to this one! So glad to hear she can do thrillers good as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this book on my tbr for a while. Just like you, I have reservations about reading it. I don't know why.
    After reading your review I think I will give this one a go and see how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Max, I usually don't connect to a male perspective that quick, but from like page 1 I loved him, haha. But ahhhhhhhh this book, it totally stunned me, especially because I didn't get what was going on, I did figure out you know who was you know what, but I didn't get the how or why, so then when it was revealed, I was just whaaaaaaaaat, haha. So good!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs