Monday, October 7, 2013

Genre Definition & Recommendation #35






Genre Definition and Recommendation is a feature where I will define a genre and a sub-genre definition and the make some recommendations.  




Science Fiction - Definition found on Wikipedia



Science Fiction- is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginary but more or less plausible (or at least non-supernatural) content such as future settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, aliens, and paranormal abilities. 



Dystopian- Definition found on Wikipedia 


Dystopian- the idea of a society in a repressive and controlled state, often under the guise of being utopian.


My Recommendations:


Matched (Matched, #1)
Matched by Ally Condie

  

        

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.






The Program (The Program, #1)
Reboot by Suzanne Young


  

        

In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.




What Do you Recommend?

5 comments:

  1. I really loved Matched, thought it brought something new to the genre. Some others I really enjoyed were Divergent (which everyone seems to love), Legend by Marie Lu and I really enjoyed The Declaration by Gemma Malley, it's a really good series and I'm hoping to review it soon so I can recommend it to everyone!

    I will definitely be looking at getting The Program, it sounds really great and my sort of read. I am loving dystopian fiction at the minute, I can't seem to get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. This genre always comes up as an error with red line underneath in my posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The program was pretty good. I have been meaning to start the Matched series for AGES! But I don't know, the mixed reviews scare me and I have this bad feeling about it lol. But I'm really curious what all the fuss is about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed both of these a lot! I didn't really feel like The Program was dystopian so much though. Maybe it technically is, but it had a different feel to it I guess. But I'm use to the scenarios in Matched, Hunger Games, Divergent, etc. I do like when the authors change things and just give it a different tone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried Matched a while ago and unfortunately it wasn't for me, but I have read some great reviews for The Program, that I've decided to give it a go soon! Thanks for sharing your recommendations with us! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs