Monday, September 16, 2013

Review: Rush by Eve Silver


Rush (The Game, #1)

Title:  RUSH
Author: Eve Silver
Publisher: 
 Katherine Tegen Books
Publishing Date: June 11th 2013
Pages: 361
Genre:  YA Sci/Fi Thriller
Series: The Game #1
Source: Audio

  




So what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?

When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.





This book struck my interest quickly. I love a fresh idea and this book was completely fresh to me. I  loved the idea of the story and it didn't take me long to find myself wrapped tightly into the plot. It was a bit confusing at times and yes unrealistic, but it was fun and intense and I enjoyed the ride. 



Miki lives her life as best as after some pretty tragic happenings in her life. She does what she can to get by. One day she tries to save a girl and ends up taking her place in front of the racing truck. Instead of death she finds a dangerous game that isn't playing for keeps but to save the world from a dangerous group of predators. To keep her life going as  is, Miki must play the game, earn some points, and kill some pretty ugly aliens.... and uncover some pretty darn good secrets. 




The book did have bit of pitfalls for me but few enough to allow me to enjoy my read. There were some really good things in the book. First the story was quite original for me. I really liked the plot. It was a bit confusing at times but sticking with it helped me get to an understanding later on. It did take some patience. 

The book was not slow, in fact it started off running from the very start. It didn't take long for the main story to begin and kept a really nice pace. I think they only downfall to starting off in such a rush is that I didn't ever feel really connected to the characters. The story was great, the pace was awesome, the characters just so-so. I am really hoping in the next installment allows me to get to know the characters just a tad bit better. 

I really don't have much to say about the characters. From first glance they all seem like really caring people. They were put in the game because of their bravery and selfless acts. The only problem was I knew this from the background stories but never really felt it myself. I didn't dislike the characters at all. Miki seemed to take it all in stride and even though she was very anxious to find some answers she played along when she found out how important it was. Jackson seemed OK. A little bit of a jerk when it came to answers, but he seemed to really care about his team. Lucas seemed to be a pretty awesome and caring character that I would love to get to know, but there wasn't enough scenes with him involved. So I am hoping the next installment will fix some of my character love issues. 

Now the story was for sure the best part of the book and it was pretty darn amazing, creative, and thrilling. I loved the game aspect and how it was mixed with aliens and saving the world. I also like some of the surprises in the end. There was a cliff hanger at the end so I am anxious to get to the next book. 





Not perfect but enjoyable. 









1 comment:

  1. This book never really appealed to me...I don't know why exactly. Maybe the gaming aspect? Glad to hear you enjoyed it well enough, though.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs