Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: Stake That by Mari Mancusi

Stake That! (Blood Coven, #2)Title: Stake That!
Author: Mari Mancusi
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Publishing Date: December 5th 2006
Pages: 288
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Series: Blood Coven #2
Source: Paperback

Goodreads Summary:


Two sisters—as different as the sun and the rain. For one, getting into the Blood Cover is to die for, but it seems destiny has something else in mind...

Rayne McDonald had it all figured out. Get turned into a vampire, become the mate of the Blood Coven leader, and live the high-life for all eternity. Too bad the head vamp took a bite out of her twin sister by mistake. Now, not only is Rayne still not a vampire, but she learns she's a slayer instead—destined to destroy vamps gone bad.

After being recruited by a secret organization, Rayne is given her first mission: infiltrate a seedy bar downtown and expose its vampire owner, Maverick, for purposely spreading a nasty blood virus. Luckily the Blood Coven sends some help—in the form of sexy vampire Jareth. Will vampire and slayer be able to settle their differences and work together to bring down the evil Maverick? Or will they find their own hearts on the line?

Review:
The second book in the Blood Coven series it just as entertaining as the first. The story continues where the first left off and it gets even more complicated.

This book is told from Rayne’s point of view instead of Sunny’s . She is still documenting her journey to become a vampire. She has not given up on this dream; however it is a little messier now because she is the new slayer. So to recap Rayne is the vampire slayer, her twin sister is dating a vampire. Can we say AKWARD! She receives her first assignment and finds herself partnered up with a very hot but grumpy vampire. Can Rayne make this work?

The irony behind the wanna-be vamp becoming the next vampire slayer is almost too much! The idea alone makes me crack up when you add the sarcastic bad girl who doesn’t care about the world outside her own life as the wanna be vamp made vampire slayer to the story it becomes hilarious. Wait there is more, we need to make sure that the story is also told from the sarcastic bad girl who doesn’t care about the world outside of her own life, wanna be made vampire slayer’s point of view. Now I am just rolling in the floor, eyes tearing, can’t catch my breath funny. Ok, I may be exaggerating a bit but I wanted to make sure I was able to make the , THIS BOOK IS FUNNY!, very clear.

So, Rayne discovers she is now the vampire slayer and finds it difficult at first, she really doesn’t want to be the vampire slayer. Rayne finds out she only has to slay bad vamps not her friends. This makes her job a little easier. When she discovers a hot vampire is also working the case and she needs to partner it up, it becomes much better. If you take away the part where they don’t play nice together.

I love Rayne and her point of view. It excites me to have the books switch narration. The character development is already well done but I like being able to feel from both of the sisters. The new character, Jareth , is a great addition to the stories and I can’t wait to see more of him in the future. The romance, the action, the mystery, it’s all here. I can’t express how much I enjoy these books! If you have not started this series, I highly recommend you do if you enjoy the light and fun reads in between the intense books. They are also great for a rainy day read.

Rating:




3 comments:

  1. The cover and title of this book were what first caught my eye. Then I started reading your great review, and thought, "Wow, this book is right up my alley!" I love the juxtaposition of opposites, with one sister being a vamp, and the other a vamp slayer. Sounds exciting! Plus, the romantic element is also included.

    I had never heard of this series before, but, now that I have, I'm off to Goodreads to get more information, and add the books to my TBR bookshelf there!

    Thanks for the entertaining review!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read any of Mari Mancusi's books but definitely off to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cover greta review will be adding to my wish list

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs