Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)Title: Froi of the Exiles
Author: Melina Marchetta
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Date: March 13, 2012
Pages: 598
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Series: Lumatere Chronicles #2
Source: ARC

Goodreads Summary:


Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home . . . or so he believes. Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been taken roughly and lovingly in hand by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper with a warrior's discipline. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds in its surreal royal court. Soon he must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad princess in this barren and mysterious place. It is in Charyn that he will discover there is a song sleeping in his blood . . . and though Froi would rather not; the time has come to listen.

Review:

I need to say that I am a huge fan of Finnikin of the Rock, the first installment of the Lumatere Chronicles and the second installment, Froi of the Exiles, does not disappoint. I was whisked away once more.

The second book continues 3 years after Finnikin of the Rock with a new part of the story and new characters. Froi is the center of this book, and Finnikin and Isaboe take second, along with Lucian and the Monts. I liked Froi in the first book, he was interesting and I could see him growing from boy with no morals to a man with a mission. In this book I fell in love with Froi! He still has a lot of growing to do but Perri and Trevanion have worked hard in shaping him into a fighter and teaching him to control his anger. Froi has an incredible bond to Lumatere and the Queen and the Queen’s guard. He has formed relationships to every one of the characters of the first book and feels he may finally have a home among them. Not far into the book he is sent on a mission to Charyn, this is when the story really takes off. Within this mission, new friendships are made, new promises spoken, and many secrets told. Froi will learn about this past, where he comes from and how important he is to all both the Lumetere and Charyn kingdoms. Froi not only becomes a man but learns how live as a man.

The new characters are easy to love as well. As in the first book, the author does an exceptional job of character building. I wanted to know more and see more of each character introduced. I felt a kinship to them, and I didn’t want our time to end. The Princess Quintana is amazing. She is so broken and yet so strong. The life that she has led since the day she was born has been nothing but horrendous. The people that Froi meet within Charyn are all so unique and wonderful, and all of them holding on to deep dark secrets that have destroyed their own and each others’ lives. Everything is amazingly weaved into a dark, twisted, beautiful story.

The story is so wonderfully written and the emotions seeped out of the book and into my heart. I felt so much in this book. I laughed, I cried, I gasped, I loved, I was overcome with joy, and much much more. I felt alive within the world, taking every step with the characters as they climbed through every obstacle uncovered every secret, and loved and lost. It pained me so much to have the book end. I am eagerly anticipating the next installment. This series has easily and quickly became one of my most beloved.

Rating: 


I am giving this book 5/5 hearts but in all reality it owns my heart and it 
deserves so much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs