Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: The Mark by Jen Nadol

The Mark (The Mark, #1)Title: The Mark
Author: Jen Nadol
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Date: January 19th 2010
Pages: 228
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Series: The Mark #1
Source: Hardcover

 Goodreads Summary:


Sixteen year old Cassandra Renfield has seen the mark since forever: a glow around certain people as if a candle were held behind their back.


The one time she mentioned it to someone else, the mark was dismissed as a trick of the light. So Cassie has kept quiet, considering its rare appearances odd, but insignificant. Until the day she watches a man die. Mining her memories, Cassie realizes she can see a person's imminent death. Not how or where, only when: today.


Cassie searches her past, her philosophy lessons, even her new boyfriend for answers, answers, always careful to hide her secret. How does the mark work? Why her?


Most importantly: if you know today is someone's last, should you tell them?


Review:

The concept of this story is great. It is original and intriguing. The story is about a girl who can see a glow around a person that is mean to die that day. She has lived with gift for years; however was not sure until recently what the glow meant.



The main character, Cassandra, is smart and caring. Her parents died when she was young and she has been raised by her grandmother. Life was pretty normal for her, except for the every so often “mark” she sees on people. In a matter of 24 hours her life changes drastically. She now knows what the mark means and she is determined to find out why she can see this and what she is supposed to do with the this gift she has.


Cassandra struggles with the knowledge of knowing that someone will day sometime during the day and she struggles with what she is supposed to do with that knowledge. Is she supposed to save them, how would she save them, and who should she save.


The characters fell flat for me. I don’t feel that I was able to relate and get to know any of the characters. The writing was well done; I was intrigued all the way through the book. I wanted to see where the story would take Cassandra. Unfortunately at the end, I feel like I didn’t accomplish anything. The reason she has the gift to see the mark is answered, and what Cassandra is to do with the gift was left somewhat answered, but I don’t feel that Cassandra resolved anything at the end.


I will read the next installment to see if there is more, since I did like the story. I did enjoy the book as a quick read, and I want to know more. I do hope that in the next installment I get to know Cassandra a little bit more.


Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs