Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta


Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1)Title: Finnikin of the Rock
Author: Melina Marchetta
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Date: August 9th 2011
Pages: 416

Genre: Young Adult, High Fantasy
Series: Lumatere Chronicles

Source: Paperback


Goodreads Summary:
Finnikin was only a child during the five days of the unspeakable, when the royal family of Lumatere were brutally murdered, and an imposter seized the throne. Now a curse binds all who remain inside Lumatere’s walls, and those who escaped roam the surrounding lands as exiles, persecuted and despairing, dying by the thousands in fever camps. In a narrative crackling with the tension of an imminent storm, Finnikin, now on the cusp of manhood, is compelled to join forces with an arrogant and enigmatic young novice named Evanjalin, who claims that her dark dreams will lead the exiles to a surviving royal child and a way to pierce the cursed barrier and regain the land of Lumatere. But Evanjalin’s unpredictable behavior suggests that she is not what she seems — and the startling truth will test Finnikin’s faith not only in her, but in all he knows to be true about himself and his destiny.


Review:

I have not read too many deep fantasies and did not know what to expect. This book was recommended to me, so I took the chance. I am jumping for joy over this book. It was amazing. It did start off a bit slow, as most fantasies do for me. There is a lot of worlds and history to describe and explain before the story can begin. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I find myself staying away from true fantasy. I also find myself getting a little confused with the different worlds and races. Melina Marchetta did an excellent job at this part of the book. I was able to follow, understand, and enjoy the beauty of the worlds. I fell deeply in love with the story pretty quickly.

As with many true fantasies, there are many characters that are met along the way of the journey. The main character in this book is Finnikin and it is his journey we are wrapped into. His world was turned upside down when the five days of the unspeakable happened. This horrible time in his past left him an orphan and left the kingdom that he loved in shambles. The day that he meets Evanjalin, his world is turned upside down once more. Finnikin is one of my all time favorite characters. He is snarky, strong, intelligent, determined, and brave. In fact I love so many of the characters. I really can’t get into the characters too much as it may give aspects of the story away. I can say that they are all amazing and easy to love in their own way.

The author did a fantastic job on the setting, the characters, the story, and the writing. One of my new favorites to add to my will reread collection. This book is full of surprises, bonding, testing of faith, secrets, adventure, and of course a little bit of romance. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book and did not want to put the book down. The ending was great but it did end me wanting for more. I am not ready to give up the characters I fell in love with. Lucky me it is a series and I will get more. The next book is “Froi of the Exiles” and I was lucky enough to get a copy from Netgalley.com and I am going to read this book ASAP! 


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs